08-25-1948 – A group of the Tacoma Times carriers that were rewarded with a week’s outing at Camp Seymour this summer. This was one of several groups who attended similar outings with all expenses paid by the Times. Besides providing good service, the boys were tops in new subscription orders. [Photo from the archive of the Tacoma Public Library]
Hedda Hopper and Marjorie Rambeau aboard Foss tugboat on October 18, 1940. Publicity for the premiere of “Tugboat Annie Sails Again” which was said to be based on Thea Foss, matriarch of Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma. Miss Hopper, famed Hollywood columnist and commentator, made a special visit to Tacoma to be present for the world premiere and to interview her longtime friend, Marjorie Rambeau. “Hedda Hopper’s Hollywood” would be broadcast live on KVI radio. [photo from archives of Tacoma Public Library
Heidelberg Harmonies was heard on the combined stations of KOMO & KJR in Seattle. In addition to sponsoring the “Heidelberg Harmonaires”, Claude Raye and Scott O’Dare, on over 31 radio stations and television Columbia Breweries also sponsored Clay Huntington who broadcast “Baseball by Heidelberg”, Bob Field, a well known hockey announcer who broadcast “Hockey by Heidelberg” from the Tacoma Ice Arena, and Bill O’Mara who covered “Wrestling by Heidelberg”. Photograph by Robert Dudley of Seattle. (TNT, 1/8/1952, p.B-11) [photo from the archive of the Tacoma Public Library]
I noticed a building in downtown Tacoma that has the word “NEWS” carved in the stone on the North-facing Westside of the building. You can make it out in this photo, look above the top floor window.
The building was named for newspaper founder Sam Perkins (publisher) and built in 1907 as a newspaper plant for the Tacoma Ledger and Daily News. The paper published from 1880, was sold in 1918 to Frank L. Baker (owner of the Tacoma News Tribune) and continued to be published until 1937. The TNT Sunday edition was called The Tacoma News Tribune & Sunday Ledger well into the 1970s. Carved in stone on the North-facing East end of the building, is the word “Ledger.”